Friday, October 12, 2007

Two dawn shots from Galilee

Via email from OHC contributor Daniel Jackson

Galil Dawn"

After several days of very sandy (literally) days, the dawn's light over the Galilee for the last several days has been excellent. I have been getting up before dawn the last few days to climb the side of Mount Turan to photograph the dawn. It's been spectacular as the Galil Dawn image shows taken from the east ridge looking east over Tiberias towards Syria. My sailor's sense, however, reminds me that "red in the morning" is not always a good sign.

North Bound"

The other morning, when I was up on Mount Turan, I happened to turn to the north, over the crest of the ridge and thought that the stars with the pines made a nice shot. Suddenly, the International Space Station caught the light just under the constellation Cassiopeia. This was an image too good to miss. So, I took a 30 second exposure as the ISS sped northward to the North Star. I felt like a kid. There was a time when the fast steam locomotives would flash across the wide expanses carrying the mail and chopping seconds off records. As late as 1975, when I lived in Iowa for a while, kids would go down to the tracks to watch the Burlington Northern roar through the old station that was closed years before. So, here I am in the Galilee watching this marvel streak across the sky feeling like a kid again. I jumped up and down calling out; I even waved my hat. But, the conductor could not see me--he had to make tracks and a schedule to keep.

Click on image for full-size view showing the station's light track clearly.

No comments: